P.T.O. (Parent Teacher Organization)
School Administrator: Hortensia 'Meg' Cota
ARTICLE 1 – NAME
The name of the organization shall be: The Mission View Parent Teacher Organization.
ARTICLE 2 – OBJECTIVES
Section 1. To enrich the lives and education of children and youth in home, school and community.
Section 2. To facilitate teachers and parents working together for the enrichment of children.
Section 3. To build a partnership within our Mission View community that will encourage the growth and development of our children.
Section 4. Board membership Eligibility and voting requirements
Section 5. P.T.O. meeting protocol
Section 6. Officers Role
Section 7 Election process
Section 8 Financial responsibility and reporting
Section 9 Board member contact information
Section 10 By law Master copy
Section 11 PTO Volunteer sign up form
Section 12 PTO Fund request form
ARTICLE 3 – PURPOSES
Section 1. The purpose of the Mission View PTO is to support and enhance the education of the children of Mission View Elementary School by fostering a spirit of cooperation and promoting open communication between families and staff of the school.
Section 2. The Mission View PTO is organized exclusively for educational purposes such as those organizations that qualify as exempt under section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or the corresponding section of any future tax code
Section 3. The Organization shall be noncommercial, nonsectarian, and nonpartisan.
Section 4. The Mission View PTO shall not participate in nor fund propaganda, nor otherwise attempt influence legislation. The Mission View PTO shall not participate in, nor intervene in (including the publishing or distribution of statements) any political campaign on behalf of or in opposition to any candidate for public office.
ARTICLE 4 – MEMBERSHIP
Section 1. Members- Anyone who is interested in the purposes of this organization may become an active member.
- All parents, step-parents and/or Legal Guardians of current Mission View Elementary School students.
- All current paid employees of Mission View Elementary School, such as, Teachers, administrators and support staff.
- Regular members have the right to attend and participate in all public meetings and activities of the Mission View PTO.
Section 2. Voting Privileges
- Each General Member in attendance at Mission View PTO meetings shall be eligible to one vote.
- The Presidents of the PTO is a member but must refrain from voting: the President may only cast a vote when that vote is needed to break a tie.
- No eligible persons shall be denied participation in the Mission View PTO.
ARTICLE 5 – MEETINGS
Section 1. Regular PTO Meeting
- Regular PTO Meetings shall be held approximately once per month, the time to be established by Co-Presidents and the Principal.
- The schedule of the Regular PTO Meetings shall be announced at the beginning of each year.
- At Regular PTO Meetings, normal business of the Mission View PTO shall be conducted.
- A minimum of 5 registered members present, including two officers, shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business in any PTO meeting.
Section 2. General Membership Meetings
- The time and place of the General Membership Meetings shall be announced at least seven (7) days prior to the meeting.
- The General Membership Meetings will normally coincide with major school events.
- At General Membership Meetings, the board shall report on events, fundraisers, and the PTO’s financial status.
- The President or Treasurer will collect all invoices during the regular held general membership meetings.
- The President and Treasurer will distribute all reimbursement for the invoices during any of the regularly held general membership meetings. Reimbursements may also be picked up from Mission View Elementary Secretary if you indicate this on the note provided with the invoice.
Section 3. Voting. Unless otherwise dictated in these Bylaws, a simple majority vote of the members present at any meeting shall be required for all action to be taken by the organization.
- Order of Business
- Call to Order
- Roll Call
- Treasurer’s Report / Finance
- Old Business
- New Business
- Schedule of Events
ARTICLE 6 – OFFICERS
- The elected officers of this organization shall be a President, Co-President a Vice President, a Secretary, and Treasurer
- Officers shall be elected by nomination conducted by a vote in the month of August
- All PTO members are eligible to hold office.
- The Executive Board shall plan all PTO activities. Final approval by the school administrator.
- The responsibilities of the President and Co-Presidents shall be:
- To serve as the principal executive officers of the organization.
- To preside at Regular and General Meetings.
- To prepare the agenda for each formal meeting
- To serve as an exercising member of all committees.
- To coordinate the work of the officers and committees with input from all interested Mission View members.
- To supervise, facilitate and direct all of the activities of the organization, subject to the control of the Executive Board and the direction of the membership
- The responsibilities of the Vice President.
- To preside at all meetings of the Executive Board and all meetings of the membership.
- The responsibilities of the Secretary shall be:
- To keep accurate minutes of all formal Mission View PTO meetings
- To publish and distribute a summary of the minutes to the President and the Principal within five days of each meeting.
- To provide and read the minutes of the previous meeting for approval at each regular PTO meeting.
- To have a current copy of the Bylaws.
- To keep a calendar of PTO and school events.
- Maintain a sign in list.
- To keep track of and report correspondence received by the Mission View PTO such as teacher requests and thank you notes.
- To keep a copy of all Mission View PTO notices sent to the school community.
- To keep a copy of all requests for donations made by the Mission View PTO.
- The responsibilities of the Treasurer shall be:
- To be responsible for all Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable for the Mission View PTO, maintaining full account of all funds.
- To make disbursements, such as checks or vouchers as authorized by the Executive Board and signed by a teacher member.
- To present a written financial report at each Regular PTO Meeting and General PTO Meeting.
- All officers of the Executive Board shall have authority to enter into contracts, agreements or obligations for the purpose of materials or services on behalf of the Mission View PTO but only within approved activities and budgets. Subject to final approval by the Administrator
ARTICLE 7 – ELECTIONS
Section 1. Procedure.
- The elections of the officers shall take place as the last Agenda Item during the next-to-last Regular PTO Meeting.
- All members of the organization shall be eligible to participate in an election.
- Only those members in attendance shall be allowed to vote.
- The Nominating Committee shall present a list of recommended eligible candidates for each office.
- Additional nominations may be made from the eligible members of the organization in attendance. Each additional nomination must be seconded and must be accepted by the candidate.
Section 2. Terms of Office.
- The term of each office shall be one year.
- The new board shall officially assume control at the last Regular PTO Meeting of the year.
- A person shall serve in office for a maximum of two consecutive terms. That person shall immediately be eligible to serve in a different office.
- A person who has served in an office for two consecutive terms shall be ineligible to serve in that office for a period of one year.
Section 3. Eligibility. Eligibility for serving as an Officer of the Executive Board shall be limited to residents of Tucson and/or South Tucson and those Regular Members who are parents or legal guardians of students attending Mission View Elementary School.
Section 4. Selection. A majority of the votes cast by the voting members shall be necessary for election.
Section 5. Termination. With the advice and consent of the Principal, an elected officer may be terminated prior to the end of the term by a majority vote by the Executive Board.
Section 6. Vacancies.
- The Executive Board shall temporarily fill any vacancy in office because of death, resignation, inability to serve, termination or for any other reason.
- An election to fill the unexpired term portion of the term vacancy shall be held at the next Regular PTO Meeting consistent with the procedures established herein.
ARTICLE 8 – FINANCES
Section 1. Financial Prohibitions.
- As a volunteer organization, the Mission View PTO shall not pay or provide any payment to the Officers of the Executive Board, Committee Chairpersons, Committee Members or any other member of the organization for their service to the organization.
- There shall be no commingling of the Mission View PTO funds with the personal, professional, or business accounts of any individuals, groups or businesses. This shall include a prohibition against providing Mission View PTO funds as a loan to anyone for any purpose.
Section 2. Financial Institution. The authorized signatures of the account shall be the treasurer and a teacher member.
Section 3. Annual Budget.
- The Fiscal Year shall run from July 1 of one calendar year through June 30 of the next.
- The Treasure shall prepare and present a proposed budget that shall include:
- Current Balance as of the date of the meeting.
- Expected and reasonable expenditures through the remainder of the fiscal year.
- The proposed budget must be in balance, meaning the Projected Balance is non-negative.
- The PTO may discuss the proposed budget as needed. Changes to the proposed budget may be made as determined by the discussion.
- The Co-Presidents shall not allow a vote on a proposed Budget that is not in balance.
- Approval of the budget is by majority vote. The PTO must vote to approve a Budget at this meeting.
Section 4. Changing the Approved Budget.
- The Treasure shall not reimburse an expense that exceeds the Approved Budget for that budget item.
- A proposal to modify the Approved Budget may be made by any PTO member
Section 5. Reporting.
- The Treasurer shall keep track of all actual deposits and expenditures.
- At every Regular PTO Meeting, the Treasurer shall provide a written financial report that the Secretary keeps with the minutes of the meeting.
- The Closing Balance from the previous Treasures Report.
- All income received and deposited since the previous Treasures Report, organized by budget item.
- All expenditures made since the previous Treasures Report, organized by budget item.
- The current Closing Balance.
ARTICLE 9 – BOARD MEMBER CONTACT INFORMATION
School Administrator: Hortensia 'Meg' Cota
ARTICLE 10 – BYLAW MASTER COPY
Section 1. The master copy of the Mission View Elementary Parent Teacher Organization by laws shall be made available for the school administrator, school staff and parents.
Section 2. Revisions to master log shall be updated by the secretary.
ARTICLE 11 – PTO VOLUNTEER SIGN UP FORM
Mission View Elementary School P.T.O. Volunteer Sign up form
Welcome Volunteers, We need your help and Involvement
Grade:___________________ Teacher if Applicable___________________
Phone (Home) _______________ (Work)________________ (Cell)_______________
I Volunteer to:
- Assist in Class Room
- Parents On Patrol
- Special projects
- Fund Raising
- Making phone calls
- Help in the Library (Book fair)
- Assist in office
- Special Skills and Interest
ARTICLE 12 – PARENT TEACHER ORGANIZATION FUND REQUEST FORM
Parent Teacher Organization Fund Request Form
Cost ______________Quantity. _______________Total Amount___________
Allow sufficient time for consideration by the PTO Committee and school administrator
Purpose for Request
Price Quote (Two). Include Attach pertinent information (catalog picture)
FOR PTO USE
Date Considered. ____________________________Funded Yes or No.